- Cooking – I’m good at it, too.
- Coffee mugs. Seriously. My coffee mug cabinet runneth over…way over.
- My pets – Two rascally dogs, six city chickens, a grouchy parakeet and a PICKY chinchilla.
- My daughter. She’s intelligent, creative, and quite the artist.
- My hubs. He’s kind, hard working, and oh-so-handsome.
- Kids – I’ve taught every elementary grade over the last 12 years.
- Early mornings. Like 5 a.m. early.
- My clarinet. I’m a band nerd – and a proud member of the LaPorte City Band since 1996!
- Words! I’m also a word nerd! Interesting words bring me joy.
- Flat Land – Hills and mountains are beautiful, but Indiana’s till plains are stunning!
Looking for a more traditional author bio? Here it is:
I’ve been writing books my whole life, ever since I can remember. My first books were made out of cardboard and duct tape. I still have them.
Around 2005, I decided to write for publication. I joined the Society of Children’s Book Writers and Illustrators (SCBWI) and attended writing conferences. I volunteered for leadership positions. I also joined a critique group. I am so thankful for the TaleBlazers!
In 2007, I wrote a picture book for Columbus, Indiana’s Art Council called MOUSE’S BEST GIFT. The book adorned the city’s store windows during Christmas. A parade and interactive game accompanied the story.
I’ve written articles for magazines such as Humpty Dumpty, Scholastic Instructor, and BackHome, and recently wrote a four-book children’s series about Indiana called INDIANA MY STATE, GEOGRAPHIC REGIONS (State Standards Publishing, Spring 2015).
I’m currently working with an amazing agent to improve my stories and find homes for them. My best advice to aspiring authors? Read, read, read! The more quality stories you read, the more you are filled with good writing. And, never give up! Rejection is part of this business. In fact, it’s part of life. Learn from it and move forward. Best wishes to you always!